Millet-Black Bean Burgers with Red Cabbage Slaw
Due to popular Instagram demand, here is the recipe for the Millet-Black Bean burgers I shared earlier this week. The recipe makes 5 large burgers. Served with a salad and some avocado they make for a great dinner. As left overs the following night, we gave them a protein punch by topping with a slice pepper-Jack cheese and a fried egg. Note: these are definitely grain burgers, but play with the proportions and use more beans and less grain for bean burgers.
For the burgers…
- 1 cup millet cooked in 2 cups water for 20 minutes with:
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp coriander
- ¾ tsp salt
1. Rinse millet.
2. Bring water to a boil in small saucepan.
3. Add millet, spices and salt to boiling water.
4. Cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 20 minutes.
5. Turn off heat, without removing lid and let sit for 10 minutes.
- 2 large scallions (or 3 to 4 smaller), finely chopped
- 1 large handful cilantro, roughly chopped
- 4 oz. pepitas (I used a bag of these, because I had them in my pantry, but plain are just fine.)
- 1 can black beans
1. Add scallions, cilantro and pepitas to food processor and blend until combined into a paste.
2. In a large bowl combine millet, pepita paste and 1 can of black beans. Fold until evenly combined.
3. With a bit of olive oil on your hands, form “dough” into your desired burger size.
4. Although the burgers don’t technically need to be cooked, you can either brown them on either side in a pan, with a splash of olive oil (as you would a real burger), or bake in the oven at 375 until browned and warmed through.
For the slaw…
- ½ head small red cabbage, finely sliced (on a microplane is best)
- zest and juice of one lime
- Drizzle of honey
- Few dashes of Tabasco
- Large pinch of salt
1. Add all ingredients to a bowl and toss with your hand. You basically want to squeeze/ massage the dressing into the cabbage to break it down, making it easier to digest.
- Salsa (My favorite store-bought brand)
- Fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- Drizzle olive oil
- Avocado, sliced
1. Nest some slaw on your plate and lay burger right in the middle.
2. Top burger with salsa and a sprinkle of cilantro.
3. Arrange sliced avocado around the edge of the plate.
4. Drizzle dish with extra virgin olive oil and enjoy!